Monday 31 March 2014

Adaptation of Chapter 16 - Sunjae Shim



I was inspired by the part in chapter 16 where Holden thinks about his experience in the museum.

I woke up early even though it was Sunday. I don’t know why, I just did. My roommates were all fast asleep. They slept late last night gossiping about some girl telling some boy about something. I didn’t care enough to listen, so I just lay on my bed pretending to be asleep. Anyway, it was so peaceful, this morning. It really was. I looked out the window. It had snowed all night and everything was covered in snow. The trees, the roads and the buildings. Whatever they looked like underneath, they all looked the same covered in snow. That made me happy. I decided to take a walk and changed my clothes.

I generally like my school. But not so much the people in it. Everything is so tightly scheduled here. Everyone is busy running around doing this and doing that. Plus the schedule changes every second. I have an appointment today, oh wait it’s cancelled, oh now I have to go to this meeting instead, right Mr. Whatshisname needs me tomorrow. I mean how are you supposed to keep up with that? I started towards Min-Kyo where the traditional Korean buildings are. I like to study the buildings here in school. The only reason that I like my school is because of the architecture. You know, the best thing about architecture is that buildings always stay where they are. You could come here about fifty years later and all the buildings would still stay the same; the bright blue roof, the wooden columns, the warm floor. Nothing would be different. The only thing that changes all the time is the people around it. I’m not saying that there are different people all the time, but it’s that everyone is different from the day before.

So even if I go to Min-Kyo every day, I would be different every time. One day, I would be hungry from skipping lunch, the other day I would be wearing boots, and the next I would be weary from a nightmare. I hate the idea of changing. I looked up to the buildings. I envy them. I envy them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?