Monday 31 March 2014

Adaptation for Chapter 25 - Hojun Kim

  • This is the adaptation of Chapter 25 when Holden goes to pass the note to Phoebe and sees the “F You”s on the wall.

    I walked down the corridor to Na’s classroom so I could give the note to someone so they can pass it to her. I put it in a yellow envelope so no one would open it. You can’t trust anyone in this school. But I knew they could give it to her if I told them it was from her cousin.

    I graduated from this school, and I hated every part of it. I really did. I remembered all the phonies in the school, even the principal of the school was like Mr. Antolini, always trying to touch students. I hated it. As I passed the bathroom, I thought I was gonna puke, only I didn’t. I just sat down on a chair, the one with the desk. As I sat down, I saw something that drove me nuts. Somebody’d carved on the desk a “F You”. I imagined Na or some other kids seeing it on this desk and wonder about what it meant. Then they would ask some adult, or even me, what it meant. Then we’d have to lie about it or some would tell them the meaning, and either way they would be hurt. I thought about hiding in the school until the culprit shows up with a pocket knife to carve more “F You”s, and I would be waiting in the bathroom with a baseball bat and I would smash his head until blood splattered all across his wrongdoings. But, I knew that would never happen. I have no guts. I knew that. That made me depressed. I hardly had the guts to cover the carving with something. But, in the end, I covered it with some paper towel and I headed to room 4-5.

    The teacher was gone, as well as Phoebe, but some kid was sleeping on his desk. I told him that I was Na’s cousin, and that I needed her to read this note, that her mother was busy with work and that she needed to see me so I can look after her. He was very sore about it, the kid. He just nodded and told me to place the note on the desk. I told him that I went to this school and that I had the same teacher. He asked about how to manipulate him. Wow, was he phony. I didn’t have the guts to tell him that the teacher has no idea if you are studying or sleeping, so I told him there is no way to manipulate the teacher. The teacher was like a hundred years old. I told him to study hard and I left. As I was leaving the room I heard him whisper “F-er”. I thought maybe he was the one who carved the “F You”. But I just left. I didn’t want to see him because that would make me even more depressed. It really would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?