Monday 31 March 2014

Chapter 8 Adaptation - Jason Kwan

  • In chapter 8, Holden meets one of his classmate's mom in the train. I decided to make an adaptation of myself meeting one of my friend's mom on the subway.


    School ended a bit early. It was January and there were only a few days left before I would go to KMLA. The graduation ceremony would be held in Feburary 14. However, I had decided not to go to it to get used to KMLA and listen to the classes. It made me very sad and I was thinking about all of my friends in middle school. There were a lot of idiots who were really funny and I recalled past memories about them. I usually ride a taxi but I really didn’t feal like it because I would have to go home early which would mean that I would have to listen to my mom’s screaming and yelling at me to study and study and that really kills me. Anyway, I walked to the subway station which would take me a bit longer to go home. There, I met one my friends in our school who was waiting for the subway with her mom. "Hi willy where are you going"

    "Math Academy She is taking me there". He indicates his mom with his finger.
    Those damn academies. You have to hear those phony teachers talking on and one and all you do is sleep and keep thinking when it will be over. Suddenly I felt sorry for him even though he sometimes did things which I did not like. I was in the same class with him when I was in first grade. Half of the boys in that class room were idiots. They played soccer in the classroom, broke the ceiling, clocks, and the lockers in the back of the classroom. He was one of the guys in the center of the group of kids who did that kind of stuff. Well most of the kids were in puberty and even did things that is embarrassing to describe. I was the kind of kid who like that kind of things but isn't brave enough to do that. I just laughed when they did that. Now looking back, even though it’s pathetic, it made me sad that I would not be able to see them anymore. After he got off the subway to go to his academy, his mom and I talked about our middle school and about willy. Even though his mom was called to school once because willy got in a fight with somebody and made him hospitalized, she still thought that her son had changed during second and third grade and was studying hard. I wanted to tell her mom that he was a brat. One day when the first graders went to a camp, he locked the doors of the dormitory veranda when I was outside so that I couldn't get inside. I tried to go to the next room. It was very dangerous and my legs weren't long enough for that at that time. So I gave up. One of the kids who saw me trying to do that said to the other kids that if I fell, they would have to pay for the hospital costs. The funny thing is that they still didn't opened the door. After about fifteen minutes, they finally opened the door. At first, I wanted to throw both of them out the window. But I knew it was a joke and they said that they were sorry. So I left them in the room. Anyway, she started to talk with me.

    "Are you jason? Were you in the same class with willy?"
    "we were both in 1-2 2years ago."

    Damn, she didn't even know me. Well I was helluva quite kid. It made me sad when people did not know me even though I knew him or her. After that, she asked me if willy was studying hard, and about his relationship with other friends and if he is good to others and all that stuff which moms are always concerned about. I told her that willy has a lot of friends and he is studying quite hard and getting good grades than before even though I didn’t know what he was doing nowdays at all because we were in different classes when we were in second and third grade. All I knew was that he went to PC rooms a lot after the finals in the second semester of third grade. Well, everybody went to PC rooms in the second semester. There was literally more empty seats than occupied ones in class sometimes when they went to the PC room. One day, when the kids were late for class the teacher got angry and locked the doors so that the students could not come in the classroom. Most people would think that students would at least knock and say sorry to the teacher or at least try to open the door before going to you know where. Well, they just went directly to the PC rooms. I did not say anything about that to her though. Although it would have been amusing if I had told her that. I think that parents are really naive. They don’t know what their kids are doing outside of their homes. Anyway she seemed satisfied about what I said and left the subway a few stations ahead of me. Thinking about willy also made me think about the happy memories about the 3years such as the soccer tournament with other classes which was held on May every year and the camp to thailand and hawaii. Even though there were teachers and some kids I did not like, I missed them all and wish to see them again if I had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?