Monday 31 March 2014

Adapatation by Chaeyeon Kang

This adaptation is from the book <The Catcher In the Rye> Chapter 9 and 12 when Holden asks taxi drivers a question: “Do you know where do the ducks go during the wintertime?” This adaptation takes place in KMLA and Holden asks silly question to the teacher. The important thing to keep an eye on is the difference in attitudes among the taxi drivers and the teachers in KMLA. 


The way to the dormitory was long and hard, as always. Long Hanbok skirts were bugging me and my shoulders ached from Morning-ki this morning. For chrissake, what’s the purpose of this Morning-ki thing! Since I left the class a bit later than normal students, there weren’t any of students passing by. Then suddenly, my advisor teacher, Mr. Ji approached me. I wasn’t so close with him: though he is my advisor teacher, he didn’t teach me. He was just a teacher who I see every morning and tells me to be careful of cold and anything.

He and I walked without a word. It feels awkward when you walk with someone and not talk to them. It definitely does. Then, this silly question just passed through my mind. I just couldn’t stand but ask this question to the teacher. Maybe he might know about this. 

“Uhm, Mr. Ji,” I said, “Have you ever passed the small lake over there out of school? About five minutes by bus?” “That what? The lake? Oh, The one near the school! Yes, I do know. I pass there every day I come to school.” “Good. Have you seen any ducks there recently?” “Yes, I have. I just saw them this morning. Why, what’s up with them?” “I mean, I didn’t see them in February when I first came to KMLA. Do you happen to know where they were during the winter? By any chance?” “Hmm, I also remember not seeing them during the winter this year. Well, I think they weren’t there during winter every year! By the way, why do you ask?”

 I was a bit embarrassed. He’s actually trying to answer this stupid question! I thought he would shout at me and say something like, don’t ask this silly questions to me or anything. His reaction was something I have never expected. 

“Just.” I replied. “Hmm. I’m not sure, but maybe they might go to warmer places! ‘Cause you know, this place is very cold in winter and ducks don’t like to live in cold places. Probably to southern place. Well, since I’m not fully sure with this, I might ask other teachers! I’ll ask Mr. Han for sure. He’ll definitely know the answer.”

 “Well,” Disconcerted by his damn kind attitude, “Thanks.” “You’re welcome. If you have any questions, feel free to visit my office. You know, my office in Minkyo over there. Maybe if you have time this weekend, we might be able to visit there for a while. Just to check about the ducks.” “Thanks. I’ll think about it.”

He was kind as hell. He was the only person who actually tried to answer this silly question in such a serious manner. I have always thought adults are all phony; acting as if they know everything. Well, it clearly seems he’s not phony, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?