Monday 31 March 2014

Adaptation of Catcher in the Rye Jeong Yeon Choi

  • This is an adaptation of Chapter 3, where Ackley barges in Holden’s room. Since KMLA’s dorms also have a double-room-shared-bathroom kind of structure, I thought it would be fun to apply Holden’s situation to KMLA dorm life. The protagonist is a KMLA senior named “Kim” and the other character is named “Han”.

    It was pretty nice to get back to my room and realize that both my roommates had gone home. It had been a rough day, with all the P.E. and the math quiz and all. We did basketball for P.E. and the teacher made us run laps before playing. I mean, why? We should have been learning basketball for chrissake. P.E. was super exhausting with all the macho guys running around like dimwits but I liked it. I really did. The math quiz? Not so much. It was supposed to be a “surprise” and I was supposed to be “ready”. It killed me to watch the expression on Ms. Lee’s face when she saw my quiz. It probably had to do with some of the things I “may” have drawn on the paper. Anyway, it was a long day, and I sat up and picked up my book, “Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger. Boy was he a good writer. It wasn’t long when my room door burst open with a following grunt. It was my homate “Han”. He came in looked around the room, and sat on my roommates chair. He started looking at Nam’s (one of my roommates) things and touched them. He always did that. Lucky for him Nam wasn’t here because Nam was a very sensitive guy and all. I was always telling Nam to chill but he didn’t listen much. Han was pacing around my tiny room and I couldn’t focus on my book with all the footsteps and grunting. He was actually tidy time to time. He showered an awful lot. One time, I took a nap during lunch time, right after Han walked into the shower. I woke up after an hour and he was still in the goddamn shower. Well, no matter how clean he got, the noises were just annoying. I was about to holler at him to leave when he looked at me and said “Whaddya reading?”

    “Goddamn book.” I replied
     “Any good?” he asked.

    Like he knew what “good” meant with books. “Pretty goddamn awesome with the ‘background music’.” Han seemed to grunt as a response to my sarcasm, and this was driving me nuts. Han wasn’t phony as the rest of the kids but this was probably because he didn’t have the brains. Suddenly, a loud “crack” ringed through the room. I looked up to see what Han had done, and found myself looking at Nam’s broken laptop. Who picks up someone else’s laptop for chrissake? The look on Han’s face cracked me up like the laptop. Seeing someone else, especially Han in trouble always made my day. As I smiled silently, the door burst open and Nam, who came back for his laptop, entered. Boy I was cracking up like a walnut. It was hilarious. It really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?