Monday 30 March 2015

Adaptation by 19th waver Maximillian Donghyun Kim

Intro:

Collaboration of the Catcher in the Rye with the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Synopsis: Holden was stuck in a mental hospital. In there, doctors and nurses visit him every day and gives strange pills every day. About to lose his mind, Holden takes bunch of sleeping pills and falls into sleep.


           I opened my damn eyes. Something funny must have happened. Because I was not in my room anymore. I was on a raft floating in a river. I looked around. I was in a place where I have never seen before. It’s strange. But still I was goddamn happy to be away from the institution.
           “Who is you?” A black man said to me.
           “My name’s Holden. Who are ya?”
           “I am Jim. What is you doing here?”
           “Oh, well. I wish I’d have an idea.”
           “Hmm… Well, dey’s reasons.” Then, he went inside the wigwam and called out.
           “Huck, Huck. Dey’s a stranger here.”
           A guy poked his head out. Well, I sure hell hope they don’t think I’m dangerous.
           “Who are you?”
           “My name is Holden. So, you are… Huck?” It’s quite sore to say things twice.
           “Huckleberry Finn. So, what are you doing here? There ain’t nothing here.”
           I told him where I was from and how the heck I did not like it there.
           “Well, can I stay?”
           When they said OK. I was damn happy.

           All I’ve wanted to do was to escape the damn institution. Look at now what I’ve got. Jesus, look at this whole goddam world. It is amazing, and nothing can go wrong about it. I lied down on the raft and saw the sky. It was clear as hell. Huck was watching me. Silent as a dead serious mouse. Now, I remembered the book the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Yeah, I damn loved the adventures.         “Where are we going Huck?”
           “Somewhere. I believe.”
           Still, it was better than going back to the institution. I will tear my heart off if I see the damn phony doctors again.

            I probably fell asleep. When I woke up I was sweating all over. Was this all dream? Damn it, I'd rather die than go back to that hellhole. What should I do? Huck was closely watching me. He probably read these in my eyes.
           “Holden, do you really want to go with us?”
           I hesitated. Maybe this was all dream. Or I may be dead in the real world. Huck handed his hand out. I took it.
           “Welcome, Holden!”
           I was so damn happy. Did the real me die or something? It didn’t matter. I was still confused but I just thought of having an adventure.
           “Nice hat you got.” Jim said.
           “Thanks”

           Good bye damn phony world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?