Monday 14 October 2013

The catcher in the rye Hyun Seung Ryu



It was a gloomy Friday. All students, except me, went outside to enjoy the end of the boring classes. My friends asked me for playing basketball. Then, I answered, ‘yes’ in powerless voice. Today was the last day that I played basketball with my friends. Just yesterday, my father told me that our family had to move again. We had moved almost 5 times because of my father’s so great, respectful, and enormous jobs. I couldn’t stay at one school no longer than 2 years. Even I stayed one school only 5 months in the past. That’s why I sometimes find myself that I was such a ‘school-less student’. It implied that there was a lack of time to make friends, adapt to new environment, and even played sports with unknown seniors. My father had merely announced our movement and my parents had already packed whole stuff. Fortunately, I had been in this school for 2 years. My father said that it was the last moment that I moved to a new school before entering this school. Then, my father became a liar again and did same action again and again.
“Hey Ricky, Look at the ball!”
Brandon waked me up from such panic condition. I forgot myself that I played basketball with my friends. Actually, I was afraid of telling the event to my friends that I left the school. Of course, I was also depressed to perceive the situation which I confronted. Furthermore, my friends seemed to bury me under the playground if I told my situation.
 After the basketball match, my friends approached to me and said “What is happening to you? Does your great father told you such trash nitpickings again?” My friends also noticed that my father was a guy who was totally unnecessary to me.
 He sometimes lost his temper in front of my friends. One day, he threw a bunch of papers to my friends for making noise in my room. At the moment, Brandon stood up and yelled to my father. At first, it was uncomfortable that my friend swore to my father with rude attitude. On the other hand, as the time passed, I swore to my father with Brandon. Father was shocked by my disobedience. I had always obeyed my father’s laws and believe myself that his words were always rational and fair. However, at that time, I couldn’t suppress my anger. When my friends left the house because of one eccentric old guy, I was treated as abandoned dog by my kind father. He relieved his stress by spanking me.

After a long period of troublesome time, I finally determined to tell the fact.

“Well, guys…… I have to move to neighboring school.”

“Don’t make us such a group of fools. It is unbelievable!
When I started telling the situation, two strong men suddenly grabbed my arms and pushed into a car. My family was inside of the car and my friends vigorously hit the windows.

“Ricky! Get out of the car! What’s the matter with you?”

 “Hey Father! What are you doing right now! ”

 “It’s late to go to the new house. You would have a time to meet your friends later”

My father spoke in a quiet voice and let the driver leave my hometown. There was no mercy in my father’s mind. He was used to bringing me without any indication of his arrival. Although he realized these friends were only friends left to me, he didn’t care my friendship and sincere memory

And then, it was the last time that I ever saw my sincere friends. Our new house was located in 100 miles away from the past town. It was impossible to visit my past hometown by myself. And then, my father was satisfied with this terrible condition. He desired to make me focus on only studying. Therefore, he brought me to such an extreme rural town. Even though my father’s decision succeeded to help me enter in good school, I lost my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?