Monday 14 October 2013

Catcher in the Rye – Hosung Kim A



Catcher in the Rye – Hosung Kim A

This is an adaptation from chapter 7. It’s when Holden fights with Stradlater and goes to Ackley’s room to have a talk with him. This remake transforms Holden into a distorted student of KMLA.

A TEENY BIT of light came through the door and I could see him lying in bed. I knew damn well that he was think ‘in about his girlfriend. “Lee?” I said. “Y’awake?”
“Yeah.”
It was sort of dark in there as I stepped on somebody’s damn kendo sword on the floor and almost banged my head off. Lee sortta looked surprised to see me. We are not allowed to visit other rooms after midnight. I really hate this damn school and all. Can you believe that we can’t even move room to room and have a damn laugh with my buddies? This is all because of that phony Kim. This phony, I don’t wanna even say ‘is name, sort of declared to give us all penalty points for just moving around the dorm. What a phony! We can’t even goddam move!

I found the switch and turned it on. Old Lee put his hand up to hide his eyes.
“What the hell’s the matter with you?”
He meant the bruises on my arm and all.

“T‘is nothing. Just had a goddam fight with Park.” I said. I tried to sit down but could not find the damn chair. So I sat down on the floor. They never put a chair in their room. I wonder what they do with those goddam chairs. I sort of felt tired. “Listen,” I said. “You wanna play some tetris?”
“Are you out of your goddam mind? It’s one in the morning!”
I wondered what a phony he was. It was natural for us to play way past midnight. This school never gave a shit in the student’s health and all. They just treat you like goddam study machines as if we were robots. Personally I hated the damn policy and phony Kim poking his nose everywhere. Boy, did that annoy me.
“Listen, I gotta go to morning exercise for chrissake. You know how it’s like.”
“What d’ya mean you have to go? Just dump it for chrissake!” He was being such a phony.
“Ya know how it’s like. The damn teacher gives you penalty points for being late and all.”

That killed me. This school was going further and further into phoniness. What the hell did they want us to do? They make us study late with their goddam tests and all, and want us to get up in the morning for kendo. They don’t give a shit about us. That’s why I’m leaving this phony place anyway.

“You’re an Einstein, Lee.” I patted him on the back. “You know that?” He studied phony physics.
“No, I mean it. I can’t just go wandering off kendo any-”
“You’re a ‘real’ Einstein. You’re a real gentleman and a scholar kid,” I said. He actually was. I wonder how he could achieve such a thing with his phony hairstyle and all. I wasn’t phony but things were goddam different for me.

“Anyway, do you have any chicken?” It was again, a violation of rules if we ate chicken. I mean why does the school even care if we ate some chicken? We ain’t gonna die of the goddam influenza or something. Anyway this school was full of phony rules.

“No, as a matter of fact, I don’t. Listen what the hell is wrong with you anyway?”
I ignored him.

“What the heck is with the bruises?” He must’ve asked me about hundred times. What a nosy guy.

“Ok, I had a fight with goddam Park because of my honor.” Yes, it was better than saying girl issues for chrissake.

“What honor?” The phony asked me again.

“The honor to keep my dignity Rollin.” I said. Now I feel like a phony explaining this stupid situation.

“Ya, kiddin me.” Damn, he was phony smart. It seemed there was only one way to get Lee to stop asking those damn questions, telling the truth and all.

“Alright, it’s about girls. Ya know Jung, right? The girl in your physics class. Goddam Park was trying to make the move and I couldn’t bear his phoniness. If he were cool, I would’ve let’im. But he was a goddam phony.” This was all true. He was being a wimp and all.

“So you fight with him for a girl. HA!”
Now that made me feel like shit.

“It’s none of your business so go to bed you moron.” It was sort of a mistake comin to Lee’s room. A phony is always a phony; I should’ve never talked to him and all.

I felt like jumpin off the window after I talked with Lee. It was a waste of my goddam time. I really should pack my bag for my Journey. Anyway, I went to my room. All my mates were sleepin and all. I packed all my food and poured soda on my bed for good riddance. After I was leavin I turned around and then yelled at the top of my goddam voice. “Study well, you morons!! You’ll never see what hit ya!” I bet I woke up every phony in the dorm. Then I got out. The stupid school mark on the door almost made me puke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?