Monday 4 April 2016

"The phone booth next to the hotel" by 21 안태규

I went to the hotel. I really did. I could tell that I shouldn’t enter that goddam building. It wasn’t like old Maurice was inside waiting for me or something, even if he did, I’m pretty sure he’ll ignore me as I passed by. It killed me to imagine Maurice giving his big, phony smile to those people who think they’re so grand. The idea of them exchanging those obnoxious smiles and saying stuff like “Welcome to the Grand hotel sir.”, “Why thank you!” I can’t stand that. The only reason why I don’t laugh my ass off every time I see those is because you have to stay stuff like that, or it just gets too hard to live around people. I swear to god sometimes I feel like I’m the only one in this whole world that actually thinks around here. 
Anyways, I had this peculiar feeling that I shouldn’t go in there. I had to get away. It was just one of those moments where you don’t know exactly but have a pretty good feeling that something bad will happen, it rises from the gut. At that moment, a man was practically thrown out of the doors completely drunk, and yelling at the top of his lungs. I knew it. I probably would have regretted going in there. I’m goddam psychic.
It was hell seeing that man moaning and groaning. Sure, it was a little sad at first, but now, I couldn’t take another minute staring at that shabby hotel in the background, lousy painting peeling away with billions of stains all over the place. Hell, it looked more like a grand-class stain museum. Anyways, I couldn’t take it, so I turned around and headed back. I didn’t know where I was going but I just had to get out of there. I looked at the dark sky, not a single star in sight. I put my hunting hat backwards and made my way down the sidewalk. I have no idea why, but the darkness reminded me of old Jane again. Maybe it’s because of the movies, I don’t know. It’s been such a long time since I saw here, and that kept me thinking what Stradlater would be planning to do with her. It killed me. I decided to give her a ring as soon as I saw that goddam phone booth. It felt like years since I’ve seen one, even though I probably passed dozens of them that week. I was just so anxious. I hadn’t felt this excited for anything for such a long time, and all. It flashed back, playing checkers and holding hands at the movies. I picked up the phone and dialed the number. I didn’t know what I was expecting. At that moment, the phone answered. I heard a voice that I could have sworn was so familiar. “Hello?” Goddam it Stradlater. I hung up the phone before giving him an answer. Who cares? It was late anyways. I sighed and leaned at the phone booth, and took my hat off for a second. Just for the hell of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?