Monday 4 April 2016

"Modification of Catcher in the Rye (Chapter 18)" by 20th waver Hae Min Cho


- Tried to relate to personal experiences
- Imitated mistaken generalization


Lauren was the first person who ever taught me a lesson about girls. I never got to know her that well or anything the whole time I knew her. I saw her playing floor-hockey once, though. She was the best on the team. I barely knew her face then, and I didn’t think I should cut in between her and her date, who was watching indifferently at the game. She was dating this terrible guy called James Lancaster. I didn’t know him too well, but he was always wearing those white baseball uniforms that stuck on his skin, and he was always throwing something around. Shattering windows, slamming doors shut, “unintentionally” targeting people and many, many more. He was this lousy guy who had attention deficit disorders, in my opinion. Anyway, that’s who Lauren dated. I couldn’t understand it. I swear I couldn’t. After we started going around together, I asked her how come she could date a show-off bastard like James Lancaster. She said she loved him. It’s a funny thing about girls. They didn’t even get their ID card or anything, yet they’re talking about ‘true love’. Every time you mention a girl’s date that’s strictly a bastard – very mean, or very conceited and all – to a girl, she’ll tell you she feels true love towards him. Maybe she does, but that doesn’t keep him from being a bastard, in my opinion. Anyways, too many soap operas and movies in their brains nowadays. Girls. You never know what they’re going to think.
I once knew this girl called Samantha who was having some affairs with her classmate. The school that I went to that time strictly prohibited dating of any kind. Most of the students there didn’t even really care; they were just excited that they could make fun of the “lovers” and have something better to do rather than mindlessly click the refresh button in Facebook for something new on their newsfeed. Girls who had a date didn’t care as well. Teasing was a matter of time, and everyone went through this at some point. But Samantha was different, she was dead serious about the tiniest things that no one cared about. And boy, did she freak about the jokes. I mean, if it’s obvious you’re going to hate the consequences so much, why would you even start? There’re so many more details I will omit, but just remember this. Girls. You never know what they’re going to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?