Monday 1 April 2013

Stupid Studying Room - Jiyun Sung

Stupid Studying Room

*This is fiction, an adaption of The Catcher in the Rye. This is the part where Holden goes to the Museum of Natural History in New York, and stops before he goes in. The narrator is a boy similar to Holden Caulfield.


The thing is, there’s a special studying room for seniors on the 11th floor. But it’s kinda phony, since it can’t hold all seniors. So we cast lots, boy, cast lots! The lucky lots get seats, and the unlucky bits don’t. I got one, too. For Chrissake. I’ve never been lucky in my whole life, and I’m using my luck in this sort of phony stuff. But I take my seat anyway. It’ll be mine for one year. Unless I get kicked out, that is.
My seat is number 26. It’s by the hallway, far from the entrance. Fourth aisle. It’s seat is blocked by a partition. That’s the whole point of this “studying room”. You are supposed to not get distracted by others. On the left partition, some sounavitch wrote “12th grade”. God damn it. Who the hell doesn’t know he’s a 12th grader? Right on the bookshelf, there are traces of good old scotch tape being ripped off. On the smooth, waxed desk there are strange engraved Chinese letters. I don’t know, they’re the company name that made this desk or something. The first day I got in, I stared and stroked the engraved letters for a long time. I kinda got curious. Who did they do that? I took out a penknife from my pocket and started to saw my desk. It was waxed, but still, it was wood. It couldn’t resist my knife. Finally, I left a tiny mark on the desk, and it was as straight and deep as the letters. From that point on, my desk never changed. 
I kinda liked having a seat in the room because you get to get the same seat every time and get to leave stuff there. And as long as I don’t touch anything, nobody does. I mean, everything stays in place- the old scribble, ripped tape, engraved letters, even my own incised mark. Nothing’d move. I could go there a hundred times, and that scribble would still say “12th grade”. Nothing’d be different. The only thing that would be different would be you. Not that you’d be so much older or anything. It wouldn’t be that, exactly. You’d just be different, that’s all. You’d wear black socks this time. Or your hair would be all tangled and messy. Or the kid that was next to me would be different. Or you’d just talked to Mr. Yoon for an hour and a half. Or you’d have decided to break up with your boyfriend. Or you’d have just fallen off the stairs. I mean you’d be different in some way- I can’t explain what I mean. And even if I could, I’m not sure I’d feel like it. 
One day I went into the studying room, right on time. The thing is, since they lack seats, anyone who’s not using the studying room properly is kicked out. Late or absent three times in a week and you’re out. To prove it, you’d sign some stupid paper that you were there, right on time, in stupid Chinese letters. I stood in line in turn to sign that damn thing. Then a funny thing happened. When it was my turn, I didn’t want to sign it. I jumped up three floors in a hurry just to get in time, but I didn't want to sign it. I mean, in my aisle people are frequently not in their seats, doing something else on the outside or having classes or something. Some of them almost never actually study in there. And still they keep their seats just because they signed that stupid paper. And a number of students are dying to get in there and have a seat! Well, that’s because you can’t use your laptop inside the room, so anybody who has to use their laptop frequently rarely come in there. But they still keep their seats! For Chrissake. What phonies. Why don’t they just get out of their stupid, never-occupied seats?
So I didn’t sign the damn paper, three times in a row. I mean, I don’t want to get fettered by some stupid studying room rules! I have my own rules. And maybe the next-in-line would have more use of that stupid seat. I don’t need it, anyway. I can just study in my room or at 11th floor, outside the enclosed studying room. And I got kicked out, damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?