Tuesday 29 May 2012

Adaptation by Jane Jungmin Park



I (Synthie): A high school (Kumly’s Prep) junior who is so angry at the education system that she refuses to take any classes except for Chemistry
Mr. Liu: Kumly’s chemistry teacher whom Synthie considers as the only one that is not phony at Kumly’s
OT: Synthie’s roommate who flirts with anyone who is in her radar; even Seok, Synthie’s true love
Seok: Synthie’s past love; memory with Seok always makes Synthie smile; considered not phony by Synthie
Lete Junio: Synthie’s classmate who is a complete phony, in Synthie’s perspective
Some things are hard to remember. I’m thinking now of when OT got back from her date with Seok. I mean I can’t remember exactly what I was doing when I heard her goddam stupid footsteps coming down the corridor. I probably was still solving the AP Chemistry questions, but I swear I can’t remember. I was so damn worried, that’s why. When I really worry about something, I don’t just fool around. I even have to go to the bathroom when I worry about something. Only, I don’t go; instead I go to Mr. Liu’s office. If you knew OT, you’d have been worried, too. I’d double dated with that bitch a couple of times, and I know what I’m talking about. She seemed to forget which one she was dating exactly. She really did.
Anyway, the doors were all made out of paper or something and all, and you could hear that huge bitch’s goddam footsteps coming right towards the room. I don’t even remember which problem I was solving when she came in- acid-base equilibria, titration or buffer solutions. I swear I can’t remember, even the number of moles of NaOH.
She came in griping about how cold it was out. Then she said, “Where the hell is everybody? It’s like a goddam morgue around here.” I didn’t even bother to answer her. If she was so goddam stupid not to realize it was Saturday night and everybody was out or asleep or home for the week end, I wasn’t going to break my neck telling her. She started getting undressed into her most basic clothes, as usual. She didn’t say one goddam word about Seok. Not one. Neither did I. I just watched her. All she did was thanking me for letting her wear my pink-white gorgeous uniform. She hung it up on a hanger and pit it on the closet as if nothing special had happened.

1 comment:

  1. I finished uploading the whole thing! can you reupload mine? :) thnx thnx! and btw.. it's *Jeong Min.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your damn mind?