Friday 30 March 2012

Fan-fiction of "Catcher in the Rye" by Soho Shim

Fan-fiction of "Catcher in the Rye"
Soho Shim
*I wrote a fan-fiction(J) in the scene where Holden has a conversation with his roommate, Ackley. (chapter 3). The setting will be the boarding school, 2012. (Although it is not directly said) Background would be almost identical to that of KMLA. All names or places appear in the story don’t aim any person or things. 
 
*        *        *
           It was pretty nice to get back to my room as everybody was down at the Rock Festival. The room was quite cozy, and I didn’t have a crappy homework that Mr. Park, math teacher who just reads the textbook, used to give me. To say more about it, his homework was always crappy and phony. It really did. He always provided the assignment of writing all the definitions in the textbook. According to him, it was ‘voluntary’ work, but he gives ‘plus-alpha’ (plus-point to the grade. It affects GPA stuff) to those who did the assignment ‘voluntary’. What a phony.
           Anyway, I took off my purple Nu-bi coat and started reading the book that I borrowed in the library. That book was taken by mistake. I was supposed to borrow ‘The old man and the sea’, but the librarian gave ‘Lord of the flies’. I don’t know about the similarity between those two titles, but they just did. I thought that ‘Lord of the flies’ would be just one of the ‘so, so’, nothing much surprising books. Well, it was kind of nice. But it is not my favorite book. What really knocks me out is the book which makes me want to go to Sosa with the writer. And in the case of ‘Lord of the flies’, it is not. ‘Different seasons’ is one of them.
           When I was reading the book, I heard the sluggish steps in the corridor. Yeah, it’s Hyun jun. He was supposed to be in a senior class but he flunked in almost every subject, forced to spend another junior year. He is very interested in girls. He always tried to go out with girls, but it never happened (although he tries to make up a love story). He was dumped by the girl whom he proposed in the freshman party because he was dirty, sloppy, and perverted. Such a pity he never knows his reality.
           He went into my room, as it happened accidentally, saying “Yo” in a so-called ‘chic’ way. “Hi,” I said, but I didn’t look up from my book. If I looked up from my book, I wouldn’t have been able to escape the constant chat with Hyunjun.
           “What the hellya reading?”
           “Goddamn book”
          He took the book for a second, looking at the cover which would have never helped him to figure out the story, and then said, “Is it good?”.
           “It’s good. I like the part where Jack and Ralph have a fight.”
           “Nah it sounds boring to me. What is really interesting is where the hot chick and the cool guy having a relationship.”
           What a pervert! Ha! Well… that goddamn one would never have a girlfriend.
           “Anyway, where the hell’s Seung-Jae at?”
           “He’s got a date. He might have gone to Wonju.” I yawned.
           Seung-Jae is one of the macho guys in this school. He is doing a bass guitar in the band ‘WWRY (we will rock you)” which totally blows up the girls’ mind. Besides, he has a good looking and a fair height. Well…goddamn! I know his style of handling girls. He knows when or what to act to girls, and he actually succeeds with his fine figure and his suave actions. And after having a relationship, the love game comes to an end. And well, I have a strong feeling that goddamn Seung-Jae would have a short relationship with his date. What a pity. But it’s just her bad luck.

1 comment:

  1. You do a great job of capturing Holden's voice, and I like the choice of books you discuss (not just because of the Stephen King homage). Holden would totally indeed enjoy Lord of the Flies. And he'd probably like those characters as well. Nice references to Salinger's writing, and lots of "teenage angst." All in all, very Holden-esque. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your damn mind?