Friday 30 March 2012

Adaptation by Isabella JhaEun Kim


Pg.69-70
Saturday night. I went out to the Concert Hall to see the idol group YellowMonsters (YM)s comeback stage in a music program. I was with my two classmates, Rachael and Tina. Rachael is a very noisy girl, like, Ive never seen her mouth shut in my whole life! On contrast, Tina is a very quite, but a foxy girl. Like, shes always thinking about boys but unfortunately, none of the victims knew her real nature. I dont like them, but I came here with them just because I had no one to go with, as my other friends werent so interested in the idols. But now Im starting to think that it would have been better if I came alone.
We were waiting in the line. Tina was peeping around to see any hot boys but she seemed to fail. Rachael was bragging about her last time going to concert. She said something like that she made eye contact with the Gogostars and they didnt look away for a long time and all that. Nobody was listening to her but she kept on telling anyway. People would think that she was keep saying things even no audience were listening, because she was very excited. But to tell you the truth, shes always like that.
Im a big fan of YM. I mean a super BIG fan of YM. Im even in their fan club and I have attended most of the concerts they open. Im totally crazy about them. I mean, they are so nice, their songs are good, and all that! When they smile inside the TV, I feel like that I should break inside the Braun rube of the TV or something, so I try to attend all the concerts and meet them in person. I fail when my mother interrupts. She doesnt understand me. She thinks I should do something else like reading or something than chasing those idols. But I dont understand her. How can she NOT buy tickets for YMs concerts? Like, is that even possible?
Well, while Tinas luring and Rachaels bragging was keep failing, we were finally able to enter. We went to our seats and near us there were these handsome boys. Who made Tinas eyes wide like animals aiming for prey. They seemed like they came to see the jumping girls, based on their conversation. I really dont understand why people like such group. They are pretty only because of the plastic surgery and their songs arent so good too. If I had much plastic surgery as they had, I would have been prettier. I almost puked when I saw pictures of their faces before they had the plastic surgery.
Anyway, Tina was trying to talk and get to know them, and Rachael was trying to get involved in the talking, like always.
Hello.
Oh, um hi. Where did you come from?
As they are boys, they seemed favorable in talking with Tina. I guess she is very charming or something. She is foxy and she is interested in boys, but the boys seemed to be interested in her too. Such lookisms.
Im from Bundang. How about you?
I dont live so far. Im from Suwon.
Oh great! Whom did you came to see today?
Jumping girls.
And here is where the great Rachael gets involved.
Oh my gosh, Jumping girls? You must be kidding! The TV programs and everything probably fooled you. You know, my friends cousins friend works in the broadcasting stations, and she had a chance to meet the jumping girls. And she said that they are such.
I could feel the anger of the boys. It was like they were going to punch her in the face despite of the fact that she is a girl. But Tina was faster.
Well I think the Jumping Girls are very pretty and nice.
You spoke ill of the Jumping Girls yesterday with Rachael in school, Tina.
I know, arent they? Have you seen the TV show named……WHOOOAAAAA JUMPING GIRLS!!!!!!!!
The show started. And the opening was the Jumping girls. Tina was trying to grab their attention and kept talking, but they said swear words to her, forcing her to shut up and I say that it was a interesting sight to watch. She was so offended due to the ignorance. I guess she never experienced it or something. So she was biting her lips and left before the concert of Jumping Girls ended. Rachael was so curious about where Tina was going and she smelled some things to gossip, so she followed Tina and left too. I think today will be a long, satisfying night. YMs turn was coming up.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! You satirize K-pop here, and even the names seem to be satirical. Jumping Girls? They definitely do tend to jump around. You really have the "valley girl" lingo down with the use of "like." And I think if Holden had been a girl (especially a modern one) he would "totally" talk that way. You also have the "examiner" perspective well established. Holden likes to watch people, and so does this girl in this story. You end it at the right time, and it is a complete story as is. Excellent work. Satirizing K-pop through a story is much better than writing an essay about it. You show how it is rather than tell it. This can be used for much more than just a Catcher-adaptation. It works as satire as well.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your damn mind?