Monday 13 October 2014

Adaptation by Migang Sung, 18th wave. Typed by Yelim Oh, 18th Wave

           Unfortunately, today I realized that the midterm was going to start next week. Then, I remembered that I would be kicked out of school if I failed one more subject. I became sort of concerned, but nevertheless I stayed at my room and continued my reading of modern warfare. It was very intriguing.          
           While I was concentrating on the book, suddenly my cell phone started to ring. I felt that it was too noisy and annoying but was also pleased of it. I was getting increasingly tedious of being alone in my room. I accidentally didn’t receive the first call, listening to the music. I waited, and as I expected, my phone ringed again. I took a deep breath and answered it.
           The high pitching voice of Miss Cho tortured my ears. She was my advisor, and seemed to be extremely concerned of me, especially of my grades. She asked me if I was preparing for the midterms, and stressed the situation I was in. I told her that I was trying, and that I was grateful for her help. I felt sorry of my lies To be honest, I was not trying, and actually did not care whether I could attend this school or not. I would always laugh when people outside praised our school. The phoniness of our school was unbearable for me. Everyone was so concerned of how other people would evaluate them, and constantly behaved phony. Even the school was made up of lies, and the most hilarious was the EOP policy. I mean, who only speaks English in KMLA?
           The part about appreciating Miss Cho’s attention for me was not a lie, however. She did seem to truly wish my well-being. The problem was that her attention was sort of annoying. Because of that, I hastily ended her call.
           After the phone call, I resumed my reading. At about 5:00 PM, my roommate John came down to our room to ask me if I would eat dinner. I was kind of surprised because John was the popular one, and usually never had to find someone to eat with. Still, I refused because I was not hungry. He said ok, and curiously asked me if I had time to read a book that was not related to my subjects. I said that I probably do not have the time. Hearing my words, John sort of sneered at me. I could see it from his looks. However, John said that he wished me good luck and that he was sure that I would do well in the midterms. It was very funny. Suppressing my laughter, I said thank you.
           John stayed for about 10 minutes and went to eat dinner with Justin who came to my room to give back my computer. It was very interesting to observe their conversation that was full of formal and meaningless words. It was also very interesting how they were constantly trying to lure me into their conversation. Maybe they felt bad for me for being alone and being in the danger of getting expelled from school.         

           Time passed by, and suddenly I felt the change of the sky. I looked out of the windown and saw the most beautiful sunset of my life. The reddish light of the falling sun was covering everything in an immensely romantic way. The spirit of every single subject on earth seemed to be woken up by the touch of the sun being delightful about it. Feeling so happy, I took my outer clothing and ran out of the dormitory. The magnificent glow filled my heart with happiness. I stayed still for a long time, I think. At least I did not move until the sun stopped glowing and the night filled in with such coziness. I realized that I was smiling. There was nothing phony about the sun and the darkness! I stayed outside until the houseparent shouted at me and forced me to come inside the dormitory. I am sure I wouldn’t easily forget this wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?