Monday 23 December 2013

A letter from Holden's aunt....



<The Catcher in the Rye>
11v4 121036 Hyunyeon Belle Kim
I hypothesized the situation of Holden having an aunt (sister of his mother) who can understand his feelings. I imagined what letter she would write to him, after knowing Holden’s situation.
To: Holden
             My dear Holden,
Recently I heard from your mother that you were kicked out from your school. Your parents were seriously worried about your so-called misbehavior. Well- my boy, are you disappointed because I seem to be on your parents’ sides? No. I am not chiding for “being expelled”. I will not criticize any of your thoughts. For me, you are the most awaken one in your family. I myself also find this world ugly and corrupted. People are all hypocrites, aren’t they, Holden?
Yet I will chide for your behaviors, Holden. I heard from Phoebe that you were going to run away. Why were you trying to run away? Did you truly believe that it was the solution for your inner anguish? Ask yourself. You would find the answer “NO”. We all know that running away would be the ultimate solution. It is rather a coward escape. I will chide you for the attempt of running away.
Just the fact that we are old enough to abandon everything does not mean that we can actually run away. Holden, let us not blind ourselves from the ugly truth. Even though we close our eyes, the truth never disappears; what you were trying to do was blindfolding yourself.
Now I want to question one thing. Did you find your world solely disgusting? Did you only despise humans, who are all hypocrites? Now and then I look around and wonder; how come this world, so ugly that I can almost vomit, is beautiful? I even find myself loving humans, who I despise for their conspiracy.
You might not understand me now; you’re full of rebellious thoughts and are frustrated because your deeds cannot match with your thoughts. However, I think you might understand my ironic love toward this world and humans as you grow up. Let us love their imperfections, their dirty ness, and hypocrisy.
Well- it seems like I made a sermon again. Hmm. I guess I can’t help it. Well, your mother seems to find another school for you. I hope you have a good time there. Try not to mess up, Holden, for your and my sake. I do not want to see my brother-in-law beat you up to death. I give you my full love.
From: your aunt, secret comrade

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your damn mind?